**STUDENT SUPPLY LISTS NOW AVAILABLE**
Scroll to the bottom of the page to download the Fairmount Park Student Supply List
June 29th, 2014
A list of quick updates as to what is happening to prepare for our September opening:
· Construction is on schedule. Teachers should be able to access the building the week of August 11th to start preparing their rooms. Teachers and district workers will fully occupy the building the month of August to ensure that all the furniture is assembled, technology is installed, and all building materials are placed/stored in appropriate places.
· Kindergarten Jump Start is August 18-22. Jump Start information was mailed late last week to all kindergarten families.
· We have enough sections/students that we now have a .5 art teacher that will be hired on Wednesday.
· Kristi McChesney, former PE teacher at Alki, has been hired as our PE teacher.
· The special needs developmental preschool from STEM is being moved to our building this year. Welcome preschool families!
· The YMCA has been selected as our before and after school childcare provider. Welcome aboard YMCA!
· Our current K-5 numbers are near 325.
· Supply lists for the start of school will be posted on the school’s website in the next week or so.
· All classrooms K-5 will be using Math in Focus next year. A waiver was requested and approved to allow the use MiF for students receiving 6th and 7th grade math instruction. As mentioned in an earlier posting, the most important component of a math program is strong instruction. The text book is just a tool and very much secondary to the skills of the educator. All students will receive a math program that is balanced and commits to strong computational skills as well as focused work in the application of math in real world problems/situations.
· Tempted to ask me what the sections will look like at each grade level? As our numbers continue to grow week by week, our sections keep changing. I’ll get that information out to families in late August once things settle down in the enrollment process. So please be patient and wait until late August before asking that question!
· Waitlists will not move until later in August once we know exactly how many seats are open.
· Our school hours are 8:45-2:55 – the playground will officially open at 8:25 each morning.
· An updated staff listing is available on the website if you are curious as to who has been hired.
· Our entire staff, small as it is, met on June 20th for a planning day. I feel fortunate to have such a collaborative and committed group of educators as my colleagues. They are an impressive group filled with many fun and interesting characters!
Important dates for parents to add to home calendars:
September 2nd – 2:45 – official ribbon cutting ceremony at FP
September 2nd – 3:00-5:00 – Open House/Ice Cream Social – teacher assignments will be available at this time. Students will be able to meet their teachers, put away school supplies, have an ice cream cone, and play with new friends.
Enjoy the warm weather.
Julie Breidenbach – Fairmount Park Principal
Fairmount Park Staff (as of 7/22/14)
Principal – Julie Breidenbach (Thurgood Marshall)
Administrative Secretary - Kathy Shelton (Lincoln)
Office Assistant – Lori Moore (external hire)
Principal Intern – Haley O’Neill (mentor teacher for the district)
Music – Ken Pendergrass (Thurgood Marshall)
Librarian – Debora Hare (STEM)
PE – Kristi McChesney (Alki)
Art – Susan Maude (formerly of Montlake)
Tina McDonald – resource room support teacher (Roxhill)
Elenza McVicar – bilingual (Roxhill)
William Wood – school psychologist
Karin Britt (Stevens)
Dan Warbington (Northgate)
Kevin Peterson (Stevens)
Cassie Halladin (Federal Way)
Amy West (Highland Park)
Althea Chow (Thurgood Marshall)
Cindy Gano (Thurgood Marshall)
Jennifer Cowan (Thurgood Marshall)
Alyssa Quinlivan (Thurgood Marshall)
Krista Kelly (Lawton)
Chris Wilkie (Stevens)
Lauren Lamb (Arbor Heights – UW intern last year)
Developmental Preschool (entire program being moved from Alki to FP)
Teacher - Barbara Toledano (Alki)
Teacher – Jennifer Coons (STEM)
The Fairmount Park PTA has a great website! Check it out here for the lastest news.
*Welcome letter from Fairmount Park Principal Ms. Breidenbach to all newly assigned families can be downloaded in the files section at the bottom of the page (a hard copy will arrive via US mail in the next few days).*
2014-2015 Kindergarten at Fairmount Park confirmed on 2/27/14 to be free full-day kindergarten for all families!
AUGUST KINDERGARTEN JUMP START
Scroll down to the bottom to download a pdf document about this week-long before school option for incoming Kindgergarten families Aug. 18-22.
Parents interested in *interviewing for teachers should check the schedule below and email Ms. Breidenbach with your availability:
Fairmount Park opened in 1964 and closed in 2007. Renovations will modernize the building and add a 12-classroom addition.
The project includes complete renovation and modernization of the existing building and construction of a 200-seat classroom addition. This project addresses current and projected elementary enrollment growth in West Seattle by adding capacity of 500 seats.
For details, click here: http://bit.ly/BEXIV-FairmountPark
Info about Jumpstart Kindergarten Aug.18-22
APP and Spectrum form
Fairmount Park welcome letter to all newly assigned families. This letter will arrive via US mail within the next few weeks.
Lottery Form for Before/After School Childcare: DEADLINE FRI. JUNE 13
Childcare Assistance Form for Before/After School Childcare
Fairmount Park Student Supply Lists 2014-2015